The European hospitality industry has taken a significant hit since the start of 2008 global economic recession but recent statistics show promising signs of market recovery. While traveling has declined over the past 5 years, cities such as London, Paris and Rome still remain on the top of the list for many tourists despite the financial fall. Regardless of destination, consumer demands and expectations have definitely changed.
The Top 5 Consumer Demands (according to Hotel Managers Group)
- Hotel property renovations (lobby , restaurant and lounge area)
- Room upgrades (bed, TV and wireless internet)
- Quality of food (fresh and healthy choices)
- Technology advancements (online resources and services)
- Customer Travel Experience (add on value with incentives)
Major hotel chains are aggressively looking to meet these demands to take advantage of the market and attract more tourists.
Hotel Industry Growth in Europe
• Hilton Hotels & Resorts currently has 3,900 locations worldwide and recently announced expanding by additional 120 in Europe by 2015.
• Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is increasing its European presence by 30% (50 new hotels) in the next five years from currently its current tally of 1,134 worldwide location.
• Marriott International, Inc., has 3,700 locations worldwide, 174 hotels in Europe and plans to double its portfolio in Europe by 2015 by investing in 150 additional locations.
As hoteliers are adjusting to their customer preferences, they are also looking into sustainable products that are efficient and safe. Hotel food service operators are interested in products that increase food safety while reducing replacement cost.
Cambro Manufacturing, a global manufacturer of foodservice solutions, has become a major advocate for food safety and sustainability. The company provides HACCP compliant product solutions and offers educational resources to support hoteliers worldwide in efficient and safe foodservice operations. Details on the worldwide StoreSafe Food Safety Program, visit www.cambro.com/storesafe.