We asked Grill Master Tim Van Doren to share how he makes his Thanksgiving Turkey. “The holidays are my family’s favorite time of year! We love everything from the decorations to spending time together and of course THE FOOD!!,” said Van Doren. Continue reading to learn the step-by-step how-to brine and cook a spatchcock turkey recipe.
- Camwear® Box (Model 182612CW)
- Camwear SlidingLids® for Food Boxes
- Cambro 4qt Measuring Cup
- Cutlery Shears (Tim uses Shun Cutlery Shears)
- Grill (Tim uses Camp Chef WoodWind CL WiFi Pellet Grill)
- Cambro GoBox
- 14 lb Heritage Black Turkey from Allen Brothers (or other brand)
- Lane’s signature brine
- Duck Fat spray
- Lane’s Cubano rub/seasoning
- Lane’s Honey Sriracha rub/seasoning
- Washing the turkey with cold water and place inside Camwear Box.
- Mix brine according to package and pour over turkey. Add water to completely cover bird followed by ice. Brine for 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove turkey from brine and dry thoroughly.
- Use cutlery shears to cut the back bone out of the turkey. This is known as spatchcocking.
- Next, place the turkey on a pan with a cooling rack and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours to overnight to help dry it out for a crispier skin.
- Take the turkey out of the refrigerator, turn upside down and pat dry where any moisture remains.
- Spray bottom of turkey with Duck Fat spray and season with Lane’s Cubano.
- Flip turkey over and spray skin side with Duck Fat spray and season with Lane’s Honey Sriracha.
- Pre heat pellet grill to 325° When smoker comes to temp, place turkey on top rack of smoker skin side up.
- Cook turkey until internal temperature of breast reaches 160°
- Remove from smoker, place in a pan, cover with foil and place in Cambro GoBox for 45 minutes to an hour.
- SLICE AND ENJOY!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: ADRIANA DESIDERIO IS THE DIGITAL CONTENT MANAGER AT CAMBRO.