- 300g all-purpose flour, additional for work surface
- 3 Tbsp and 2 tsp granulated sugar, divided; additional for sprinkling
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 large egg for dough, plus 1 egg yolk for egg wash
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*, plus more for sprinkling.
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 16 edible candy eyes
*Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 tsp ground allspice
- 5 tsp ground cloves
- Pulse flour, 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse 12 to 15 times or until it resembles a coarse meal with several pea-size pieces remaining. Add 5 Tbsp ice-cold water 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until dough just begins to come together (add up to an additional tablespoon of water, if needed).
- Divide dough into 2 piles; knead together and use plastic to flatten and press dough into loose rectangles. Wrap each rectangle with plastic wrap, place into a CamSquare® to keep airtight, and refrigerate until firm, 2 hours.
- Beat cream cheese for about 1 minute until smooth. Add pumpkin, egg yolk, pie spice, vanilla, a pinch of salt, and the remaining 3 Tbsp of sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Note: There won’t be enough filling to use a stand mixer.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat. Working with one piece of dough at a time on a lightly floured work surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 3 three-by-four-inch rectangles. Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Top rectangles with a rounded tablespoonful of the pumpkin mixture, spreading lightly and leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Reserve dough scraps.
- Knead dough scraps together and reroll. Cut into thin strips about 1/4 inch wide and 5 inches long. Top hand pies with several overlapping strips to create a mummy. Seal edges with your fingertips and trim excess.
- Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp of water in a bowl. Brush strips lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Chill 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through. Cool for 20 minutes. Place candy eyes on mummies.