These mummy hand pies are almost too cute to eat—almost. Home chef Patrick Nickell shares his delicious and adorable Pumpkin Cream Cheese Mummy Hand Pies recipe that everyone is sure to love.
- 300g all-purpose flour, additional for work surface
- 3 Tbsp and 2 tsp granulated sugar, divided; additional for sprinkling
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 large egg for dough, plus 1 egg yolk for egg wash
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*, plus more for sprinkling.
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 16 edible candy eyes
*Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 tsp ground allspice
- 5 tsp ground cloves
- Pulse flour, 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse 12 to 15 times or until it resembles a coarse meal with several pea-size pieces remaining. Add 5 Tbsp ice-cold water 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until dough just begins to come together (add up to an additional tablespoon of water, if needed).
- Divide dough into 2 piles; knead together and use plastic to flatten and press dough into loose rectangles. Wrap each rectangle with plastic wrap, place into a CamSquare® to keep airtight, and refrigerate until firm, 2 hours.
- Beat cream cheese for about 1 minute until smooth. Add pumpkin, egg yolk, pie spice, vanilla, a pinch of salt, and the remaining 3 Tbsp of sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Note: There won’t be enough filling to use a stand mixer.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat. Working with one piece of dough at a time on a lightly floured work surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 3 three-by-four-inch rectangles. Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Top rectangles with a rounded tablespoonful of the pumpkin mixture, spreading lightly and leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Reserve dough scraps.
- Knead dough scraps together and reroll. Cut into thin strips about 1/4 inch wide and 5 inches long. Top hand pies with several overlapping strips to create a mummy. Seal edges with your fingertips and trim excess.
- Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp of water in a bowl. Brush strips lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Chill 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through. Cool for 20 minutes. Place candy eyes on mummies.