Pizza is arguably one of the most popular foods in schools. Today, school foodservice professionals work hard to make meals more healthy and delicious and less processed than most students’ parents remember their food being. Forest Lake Area Schools, located in Forest Lake, Minn., has taken it a step further by combining pizza with another crowd favorite: grilled cheese. FLBS food service director Paige Albrecht invited her local Cambro sales rep, Alex Gaustad, to help make their Pizza Grilled Cheese one day and even shared the recipe so that your school can make it too!
(Makes 48 servings)
- 4 lb. Shredded Yellow Cheddar Cheese
- 2 lb. Shredded Low Moisture Part Skin Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 qt. and 2 cups Cheese Sauce (Ultimate Cheddar Pouch, Lower NA, Land O’ Lakes, 39945)
- 1 cup Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb. 14 oz. Turkey Pepperoni slices
- ¼ cup Italian
- 96 slices of Whole Grain Sandwich Bread
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Chop 6 Cups of Turkey Pepperoni
- Place all ingredients into large bowl. Stir until just combined.
- To build sandwich, spray one side of each slice bread with butter mist.
- Place 24 slices, oil-side down, on full sheet pan.
- Portion one #16 scoop spread onto bottom slice of bread.
- Cover pizza spread with second slice of bread, oil-side up.
- Bake in oven with the half steam with half heat setting if possible. Bake sandwiches uncovered 10 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
- Hold warm until service or wrap in deli foil and hold warm for grab-and-go.