How could you make meatloaf better? Wrap it in bacon and stuff it with cheese! Grillmaster William Whitfield shows you know he puts a twist on the classic American favorite. Enjoy for a family dinner or a gathering with friends!
- 1 pound lean beef
- 1 cup plain potato chips
- 1 medum Walla Walla Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp BBQ sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp BBQ rub (your favorite sweet rub)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 oz. mild cheddar cheese block
- 4 oz. pepper jack cheese block
- 1 lb. bacon, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine beef, chips, 2 tbsp BBQ sauce, Worcestershire and BBQ rub. Set aside.
- In a small pan with a little bit of olive oil, sauté the chopped onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, crack egg and beat it slightly. Add egg to beef mixture before adding sauteed vegetables; do not overwork.
- Divide meatloaf mixture in half. With one half, add to a sheet pan and gently press the center in to create a rim around the outside of the meatloaf. Add cheese blocks into the center of the meatloaf.
- Form the remaining half of meatloaf into a size similar to the meatloaf in the pan. Set on top and press the sides together to seal in the cheese. You should finish with a loaf shape about 1½ to 2 inches tall.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tbsp ketchup and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Mix well with a fork. Apply glaze evenly all over the top of the meatloaf.
- Arrange bacon slices over the top of the meatloaf. Start by wrapping a piece of bacon across the front side and a second piece of bacon across the back side. Arrange remaining bacon over the top. Tuck the ends of the bacon under the meatloaf.
- Place meatloaf in the oven and bake until bacon is crispy, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven. Allow to rest uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!