You’ve probably heard about sous vide or seen photos of the process online, but what is it exactly and how can you try it? Sous vide is French for “under vacuum.” Essentially, meat is vacuum sealed or placed in a plastic bag and then plunged into a container of water. After inserting an immersion circulator into the container, you can cook the meat by controlling the temperature of the water. The sous vide method involves low temperature with a long cook time. You’ve likely seen the Cambro CamSquare storage container used in a variety of sous vide examples. CamSquares are the perfect sidekick to the hero that is the immersion circulator because its crystal-clear material allows you to see the progress of your meat and withstands up to 210°F.
We asked Chef Tim Shelburn to share how he makes the perfect sous vide ribeye steak, enjoy!
- Sous Vide machine (Anova Culinary or equivalent)
- 12qt Cambro CamSquare container
- Vacuum sealer and bags (or zip top bags)
- Thick cut ribeye steak
- Steak seasoning
- Attach the sous vide machine to the side or corner of a 12 qt CamSquare container and fill with water to the 8-quart line.
- Season your steak with your favorite rub or seasoning and place the meat in a vacuum bag or a zipped top bag.
- If using a vacuum sealed bag, seal it now.
- Set your sous vide machine’s temperature to 130 degrees, set a timer for two hours and place the steaks in the water. Add more water if they aren’t fully immersed.
- With approximately 30 minutes left on the timer, light your grill.
- After two hours your steaks will be a perfect 130 degrees throughout the entire cut. Remove the steaks from the bags and place on the hot grill for 1-2 minutes per side rotating 45 degrees halfway through for grill marks.
- Let your steak settle for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve your beautifully cooked steaks with your favorite side dish, such as fresh green beans and a baked potato.
- Share your finished meal with us on Instagram and Twitter with #Cambro!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: ADRIANA DESIDERIO IS THE DIGITAL CONTENT MANAGER AT CAMBRO.